Saturday, October 15, 2011

Milestone 2 reached!

Differing between local and global chat is implemented. I decided to forget about sending messages to only those nearby and go for the one-map-one-channel approach instead. It's not like it would be hard to do (I am sending the chat message in the MapInstance class where I have access to all objects and their positions, and calculating their distance would be trivial) - It's just that I can't decide what a reasonable distance is because I don't know how big the screen of the user is. And even when I would know: everyones screen is different, but I need to use the same distance for everyone, because you expect that when you can hear someone, he can hear you too. So when I have to go for a one-size-fits-all chat distance anyway, I could just take the whole map for it.

The chat support on the client is still very spartan. To send a global message, you prefix it with a "#" symbol. It would be better to have separate tabs for global and map chat. The chat window needs some love anyway, because currently it can't even scroll. It just grows and grows instead.

Then it will be finally time for Milestone 3: Login sequence and persistent accounts and characters. And when that's finished I can finally start with implementing real gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment