Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why a NoSQL database

An online game needs a database for persistent storage. There are countless databases, so which one to pick?

For this project I decided to give the document-oriented database MongoDB a try. Why? Because I want to know what the NoSQL fuss is all about. While some people consider NoSQL the future of data processing, others thinks that it needs to die. Where do I stand in this debate? I don't know. It would be naive to build an opinion about NoSQL databases without ever having used one for a serious project. So I want to give it a try.


What do I hope a document-oriented database will do for me what a relational database can't?

Hopes:

  • The lack of schema will allow me to implement changes and new features quickly
  • I will discover some killer features which make my life easier
Fears:
  • The lack of schema might cause chaos in my database
  • The query language could not be powerful enough to do everything I need to do
  • The technology might not be mature yet

No comments:

Post a Comment